White Collared Part 1: Mercy
Author: Shelly Bell
Publisher: Avon Red Impulse
Published: June 3, 2014
Purchase Links: Amazon - B&N - Kobo - iTunes - Google Play - Books a Million - ARe
Driven by ambition…
Third-year law student, Kate Martin, outran her tragic past to become an intern for her idol and secret crush, the powerful attorney, Nicholas Trenton. She is thrilled when Nick assigns her to represent his best friend and client, millionaire Jaxon Deveroux…the prime suspect in his submissive wife’s murder.
Seduced by desire…
Kate knows they have only a few days to find the real killer, and since signs point to a member of the BDSM community, she volunteers to go undercover as Jaxon’s submissive at Benediction-the private sex club where he is a member-to covertly investigate Alyssa’s last few months. For years, Kate has kept her dark fantasies a secret…but a chance to explore them with sexy, dominant Jaxon is just too tempting to pass up.
Holy Hannah! As my introduction into the works of Shelly Bell, I'd have to say... MORE! For the first installment, White Collared: Mercy did an excellent job setting up the rest of the series. Mercy focuses mostly on Kate and her relationships with the people in her life. I love Kate. Something unknown happened to her in the past and she is still greatly affected by it. While she's trying to control her emotions about what happened in the past, she's dealing with some pretty harsh events that take place in Mercy. Throughout Mercy, Kate finds herself in a new position. Should she stick to her vanilla relationship with Tom or should she explore what BDSM and sex has to offer with Nick or Jaxon?
I sped through Mercy and it pained me to put it down. I wanted to read through the next three parts of the book, but I'm pacing myself. We'll see how long that lasts... I love the BDSM elements in Mercy. Its not over the top. Kate is willing to dive into the lifestyle to help solve a murder. It helps that she's intrigued about being what it is like to be a sub. This novella was hot. Not just the sex scenes, but the descriptions of Kate's desires towards Nick and Jaxon. Yum! As for the thriller elements, I can't comment on that yet because it really wasn't focused on in Mercy. We know about the murder and how violent it was, but that's really it. I'm looking forward to how it plays out in the next installment.
TEN REASONS I LOVE WHITE COLLARED HEROINE, KATE MARTIN,
AND YOU WILL TOO
1. No Cosmopolitans or Daiquiris this girl. Kate’s favorite drink is a Sloe Gin Fizz, although in a pinch, she’ll down a few shots of the gin she keeps in her freezer.
2. Kate not only rides a Harley, she rebuilt it and does the maintenance herself.
3. Let’s just say if the book took place in the Wild West, Kate would win a gun draw.
4. She’s tenacious. When she wants something, she’ll do everything to achieve it.
5. She’s loyal to a fault. Good for her friends, not so good for Kate.
6. She’s no timid virgin. Kate owns her sexuality and doesn’t make any excuses for it.
7. She’s not perfect. She pops her anti-anxiety pills—which she keeps in a Tic-Tac dispenser—like candy, and she makes a lousy cup of coffee.
8. She gets sarcastic when she’s nervous.
9. She rocks out to Eminem when she’s upset.
10. Money doesn’t impress her.
White Collared, Part One: Mercy Playlist (Spotify)
Chapter 1. Love the Way You Lie (Part II) by Rhianna and Eminem
Chapter 2. Pretty Girl by Sugarcult
Chapter 3. The One That Got Away by The Civil Wars
Chapter 4. Controversy by Prince
Chapter 5. U & UR Hand by P!nk
Chapter 6. Walk by Foo Fighters
Chapter 7. Murder by Numbers by The Police
Chapter 8. Lithium by Nirvana
SHELLY BELL writes sensual romance and erotic thrillers with high-emotional stakes for her alpha heroes and kiss-ass heroines. She began writing upon the insistence of her husband who dragged her to the store and bought her a laptop. When she’s not practicing corporate law, taking care of her family, or writing, you’ll find her reading the latest smutty romance. Shelly is a member of Romance Writers of America and International Thriller Writers.